RedHat Linux and CentOS gives you very easy way of installation of its software packages and patches that are in RPM format, because these packages are dependent on each others so some time sits tough to install a packages because it shows the dependency error, so this Company has given a great tool called YUM Server which called Yellowdog Updater, Modified. this packages give you the option of installtion of all packages with just single command (Example:- yum install packages_name).
Process of installations and configuration of YUM server
- Install Redhat or CentOS Linux of you Computer or laptop.
- after installation open the CD ro DVD or ISO image and copy the Packages folder from CD or DVD folder into the Directory where you want to create YUM Server.
Example :- copy that packages to /home/<package_folder>
3. Now Change the ownership of file and packages.
# chown -R root.root /home/Packages
4. Now install the Createrepo Packages from RPM Packages. this packages compile and create a repodata folder where all packages are linked with each others and whenever you will install a particular package then it will install all its dependencies automatically with that Packages
5. After this now run createrepo command and changes permissions.
# createrepo /home/Packages
# chmod -R o-w+r /home/Packages
6. Now Create a repository configuration file, e.g. /etc/yum.repos.d/myrepo.repo containing using following command
vi /etc/yum.repos.d/myrepo.repo (Enter there)
now click I for Insert and copy the following Lines in the files and save it.
name=My Awesome Repo
Now your Yum Server is ready and save it and use yum command to install all packages with single command.